Pages

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Getting Started - Meal Planning

From my 7 years in South Asia, I've learned that planning can be both your best friend and worst enemy. When it comes to food with longer preparation times, planning tends to be your friend. In an effort to keep both myself and my husband from a million grocery trips each week, I plan all of our meals for a week at once. We buy all the main ingredients once a week so we only have to run to small fruit and vegetable sellers near our house over the remainder of the week. I don't really like planning breakfasts except for special occasions so I just keep random makings of breakfast in my pantry.

Honestly, getting creative in the kitchen with limited ingredients does not take a lot of magic tricks, just some know-how in terms of finding good recipes and adapting them. Here's what's on for this week:

Monday 
Lunch: Rice with Lentils and Mixed Vegetables
Dinner: Thai Cashew Chicken, Pumpkin Leaves in Oyster Sauce, and Steamed Rice

Tuesday
Lunch: Leftovers from Monday
Dinner: Spaghetti or Eggplant Melanzane with Garlic Bread

Wednesday
Lunch: Rajma Masala and Roti
Dinner: Taco Salad and Southwestern Corn

Thursday
Lunch: Vegetable Biriyani
Dinner: Miso Soup, Japanese Cucumber Salad, and Jasmine Rice

Friday
Lunch: Palakura Pulusu, Radish Curry, and Rice
Dinner: Chicken Nuggets, French Fries, and Steamed Vegetables

Saturday
Lunch: Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches (Yes, we adults do still like them!)
Dinner: Pizza and Salad

Sunday
Lunch: Brown Rice Salad
Dinner: Out at a cheap neighborhood dive

Monday
Lunch: Rice with Lentils and Mixed Vegetables
Dinner: Thai Noodle Soup with Minced Pork

Tuesday
Lunch: Tomato Soup and Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
Dinner: Breakfast Casserole and Fruit Salad

 I'll try to provide or link you up with the recipes I've used over the next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment