Pages

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Breakfast Casserole

I love breakfast--all the time. One of my favorite breakfasts is the kind of casserole people make for holiday mornings. Why they only make them for those occasions, I totally don't get so I make them whenever. Since I only needed half a pack of ground pork last night, I mixed the rest up to make sausage. This made a large round casserole dish worth, more than enough for our small family for dinner and breakfast leftovers.

Sausage Breakfast Casserole
1/2 pound sausage
2 cups bread, cubed
1 cup cheese
5 eggs, beaten
2 cups milk
3/4 teaspoon mustard powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon onion powder

Brown the sausage in a frying pan and drain. Preheat over to 160C. Butter the bottom of your baking dish. Add the bread cubes. Personally, I prefer a heartier bread for this so it doesn't get soggy and has some bite to it. In a separate bowl, mix the eggs, milk, mustard powder, salt, onion powder, and cheese. Pour over the bread. Top the dish with the sausage. Place in a hot oven and bake for about 1 hour. If the top begins to brown too fast, you can cover it with foil.

I do have a confession after making this tonight though. I just don't have the patience to wait one hour for eggs. So... if you're at all like me, considering electricity/gas consumption and not just being impatient (not!), bump up the heat to 180/200. Check it after 30 minutes to see if the eggs have set. If not, give it another 10-15 minutes. That's how I always do quiche so I assume it should work here as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment