Pages

Monday, March 25, 2013

Gyros

Okay. I promise I'm almost done today! I've had so many recipes backing up due to my busyness at work, but I have a holiday tomorrow so there isn't much planning going on at the moment. Gyros... deliciousness. I don't typically enjoy goat meat or lamb, but I can do it for a gyro. While these are not exactly the real thing, they are a pretty close approximation. I've tried a couple recipes from the simple to the complex, and I think this one from Alton Brown is a good balance between simple and flavorful.

Pita bread is fairly easy to make, but I find that if there is someone in my house who will make rotis for me I can absolutely settle for those.

My gyro, pre-tzatziki bath

Gyros
500g ground meat
1 small onion, finely chopped or grated
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons dried marjoram (can substitute thyme)
1 tablespoon dried rosemary
1 1/2 - 1 3/4 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Once the onion is chopped, wring it out in a tea towel to remove any water. Pack the onion and the remaining ingredients together like a meatloaf. If you're having trouble with it holding together, you can add 1 beaten egg to give it some "glue." Pack the mixture into a loaf pan all the way to the sides. Preheat the over to 170C/350F. Place the pan in the oven and bake for 45 minutes to one hour. To keep the meat moist, place the pan in a container of water during the baking process. Drain the meat after cooking and place something heavy over it for 5-10 minutes (like a plate with a can on top or foil-wrapped brick). Slice thinly and serve on pita/roti with chopped onions, tomatoes, and tzatziki.

Tzatziki
500 mL plain yogurt, drained over a tea towel for 20-30 minutes
Juice of 1 lemon
1-2 large garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon dried dill or mint OR 2 Tablespoons fresh dill or mint
Salt and Pepper, to taste

Mix the lemon, herbs, and garlic into the yogurt. Season to taste and allow to rest at least one hour before serving to bring out the best flavors.

1 comment:

  1. Made this tonight for dinner! SO GOOD. definitely a keeper.

    ReplyDelete